When it comes to choosing floor tiles, the choice of so many options can feel overwhelming. Even with expert guidance from the designers at St. Louis Tile, narrowing down your choices from the beginning will steer you in the direction you need to go, as well as help you find something you’ll love for a very long time. We’ll help make sure it’s all “you” every step of the way.
Style of Your Home
When choosing floor tile, consider the style of your home. If it’s older, you may automatically think it’s traditional, when in reality, it may be a bit more eclectic in style; thus, able to take color and pattern well. Consider hexagon shapes and various sizes and colors. Or opt for a border to bring in your wild side.
If your home is traditional, consider classic, neutral colors and opt for marble, travertine, porcelain, or ceramic tiles that fit into that aesthetic.
Overall, try not to veer too far from your home’s general feel to avoid having your new tile look more like an accident than an intentional choice.
The Right Floor Tiles Can Improve the Flow of Your Home
In smaller spaces, you may believe that smaller floor tiles work best in small rooms, but that’s not always the case. Selecting a larger tile can often open up spaces. While a small tile or pattern may be lovely, try not to limit yourself. Just never use wall tiles on floors. Due to glazing (think strength), it simply won’t work for the long haul.
Along similar lines, if you have a kitchen that flows directly into your living area, consider making those spaces seem more cohesive and visually larger by selecting one tile that connects both spaces. Visually, this trick can make any room appear larger while also making your home feel more connected than it actually is by s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g your spaces.
This trick also works if your rooms are closed off by walls. Guests will be more likely to move between the spaces if the rooms are tiled the same because it appears to be another part of the room they’re in, making it a great choice for entertaining.
Let the Room Influence the Tile
- Entryway, kitchen or bathroom? These often-used spaces may need a floor tile that’s easy to clean, without too many details or tiny nicks and crevices where dirt could hide. Select a medium-shade tile that won’t show dirt as easily to avoid this potential problem.
- Outdoor tile? Consider natural stone. Or try one of the wood-look tiles to tie in your green spaces and hard spaces. Come home to your own outdoor wonderland every single day!
- How do you use your room? If you have pets who have accidents or children who make messes of a different kind, choose a sealed ceramic floor tile that will be less porous to liquid accidents. Also, try not to go too dark even in a well-lit room. Darker tiles, much like black cars, will show dirt and hair quite readily.
- Grout color? White grout shows dirt quickly, but gray may appear dirty from the start, depending on the tile choice. When in doubt, ask the experts at St. Louis Tile about this often-overlooked detail.
- Texture and depth? Plank-style tiles that are long and narrow will play tricks with the eyes. Some mimic the shading and warmth of real wood without the upkeep. Bonus! They’re so realistic you may have to touch one to know for sure.
Throw Out the Rules
When it comes to choosing floor tile, there are a lot of so-called rules. But when it comes to personal style, it’s always best to go with your instincts as rules and trends are constantly changing.
Patterns, textures and faux wood are in style. Classic tiles will always be on trend. See the confusion? When it comes to your home, tile choices are limited only by your personal comfort and design preference. If you have an eclectic flair but are concerned about living with it long-term, limit the wild pattern or color to your office space or outdoor area – and always make sure it’s 100% you!
St. Louis Tile Is Here To Help
Come see us!
If you’ve thought and thought some more about tiling your home, we understand. We do! And if you can’t seem to get anywhere, why not visit the tile experts at St. Louis Tile? Our designers are here to help. We want your project to be a success from start to finish. And yes, we know and love tile!
Visit our incredible showroom, open 7-days a week, and you’ll be convinced. We believe in reasonable prices and awesome customer service. Visit us for a free consultation or call 636-220-3550 for more information.